Pages

09 April 2014

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs is about a boy named Jacob who spends an awful lot of time looking through his grandfather’s peculiar photos. The story really kicks off around the time of his grandfather’s untimely death.  Around this time, he travels to a small island off of Wales where the adventure truly begins.

This book was incredible; it was unlike anything I have ever read before. I love the way Riggs incorporated the photographs into the story because it gave a face and name to all these characters.  There were extremely odd ones, yes, but I loved how they had a back story behind them.

I loved the plot of the story. The idea that there is this mystical island where all the peculiar children of the world live is so fascinating. I often thought to myself while reading the book about what if something like this actually existed. This book made me want to live in this world and experience what Jacob was experiencing.

One thing I applaud of Riggs is the male protagonist. In the past year, I believe this is the first book I have read with a male protagonist. Most of the books I am recommended are all female heavy, but I love this. There isn’t really a romance in this and I adore that because it makes it different. Sure, there was a kiss, but it didn’t make a huge impact on Jacob’s life.

I think this book is well-written and funny. I was laughing out loud while reading this book and I hope whoever picks this book up next. I recommend this to those who love creepy photographs and a good story to go along with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment