Pages

11 November 2013

NaNoWriMo 2013: Week 2

Hey Everyone!

Week two has come and gone and I would like to fill you in on my week! I hope you guys are all enjoying this!

On Saturday the 9th of November, I participated in my first write-in at my local public library. I got 2,351 words written in the span of two hours. We went in and just wrote and it was fantastic. My sister came along with me, but she doesn't write so she read a book which she checked out prior to the writing session starting. Courtney ended up finishing the whole book before the two hours finished. I was shocked!

It was nice doing the write in because I never participated in NaNoWriMo before and to sit in a room of about ten people who were aiming for the same 50,000 word goal was great. It was a variety of ages and we all had our own methods of writing.

After the write in I was talking to one of my good friends, and someone I trust with my story, about something my writing club at school said (refer to the last sentence of the next paragraph). She helped me think about some things and help me figure out what to do with my story in regards to this issue.

On Wednesday the 6th, I shared the first chapter (though it wasn't the greatest) just to get to know how they liked the idea. Mind you, none of the students in the room are freshman and some are graduating. They all seemed to enjoy the story a lot and can't wait to read more. This makes me really excited about finishing it because I impressed an English major who, I believe, is graduating this year. I am just glad that they liked it, the only thing is that I have to think of a social issue to write about in regards to my dystopian world.

This week, I also got a lovely email from a woman in the UK who was interested in being a critique partner. We exchanged the first chapters of each others stories and she too gave me info on helping with developing my story. She told me what to research to help move along my story and I made a trip to the local library and checked out a few books on the topics.

How are you feeling at the moment?
I am feeling absolutely fantastic at the moment! I have been thinking about my characters nonstop and I don't think I can ever stop because they are beginning to consume me. I wouldn't have it any other way, though. My story that I am writing is something I am so passionate about that I just can't let it go.

Did your story take any interesting turns you weren't expecting?
Yes! I have an unplanned love triangle (damn you Marcus and Jameson) and I kept going back and forth between who was eventually going to get her heart. I figured it out and it was the most magical moment when it happened. It got me all flustered when it happened! My heart was racing and everything!

How is your plot progressing?
It is going good, I am going to try and get the plot progressing and diving into some of the deeper chapters. I do feel as if I'm rushing it a little bit (romance wise), but that will eventually change when I begin the editing process in December or January.

Favorite character to write thus far?
I think at the moment it is Marcus's best friend, Jameson. There is so much to be explored through him and I feel as if I haven't fully explored who he is. Plus, he is portrayed by a beautiful boyband member. I mean, c'mon, who wouldn't like writing to this face:
Yes... I really did put a photo of Harry Styles
Jameson just has this depth and secrets that even I haven't figured out yet. I chose to have Harry portray him because I feel as if they share a strong similarity in the sense that there is more than meets the eye. I used that kind of terminology when writing him in because he was this quiet character, still is, but there was a sense of mystery to him. Yeah, he's my other fictional lover at the moment. Alongside Jace Wayland that is :D


Anything you wish you could change?
Hmmm... I just think my pacing because it is going a little fast. I also think the mixed feelings of the love triangle. I need to make it less confusing for the reader.

Current word count?
25,000 and counting :D
That is half way done if you are keeping track :D

Until Next Time,

No comments:

Post a Comment